Fire & Hemlock Revisited (or maybe not...)

Tue Jan 23 02:12:58 EST 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:03:10 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>>ISTR that the correct pronounciation is something like
>>"Boo dik ka".

>Our Grade 5 teacher said it was Bo - add - a - see - a but she might have
>been wrong.

That's how I first heard it, but since then I've seen it actually spelled
"Bodicca" and several other ways.  Me, I try to avoid reading that one out
loud.  However I say it, I'm sure to get it wrong.

> She said you pronounced Massachusetts  (or however you spell
>that state) as Mass - a  chew - sa.

Mass-a-chew-setts.  Just like it's spelled.  :)  Though there are always
regional variations in pronunciation...and you can usually tell if someone
is really from Oregon by the way they say it.

(I love Native American words.  Potawatomie.  Oneida.  Algonquin.
Iroquois.)

Melissa Proffitt,
denizen of Utah
(denizen is another word I like)