Serafina, origin of and angels

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Mon Jan 22 08:44:50 EST 2001

> >Surely Serafina is originally Hebrew?
> >Ania
>
> I suppose "seraph" is Hebrew, one of the numerous biblical words for
angel.
> But I've never heard of anyone named "seraph", and "ina" is a distinctly
> non-Hebrew ending for a name.
>
> Gili
Please tell us more about names for angels - Greek "angelos" means simply
messenger, but what are the meanings of the various biblical names? I can
think of seraphim, cherubim and... er... can't remember. But isn't there
supposed to be a whole hierarchy of angels? Can anyone remember/ look up
this stuff? Not the New Age nonsense, though, please! I must stress here
that although I am fascinated by religion, I do not believe in God, god or
gods, male or female.
On the subject of angels, has anyone seen "The Prophecy", a rather excellent
film with Christopher Walken at his menacing best? It's all nonsense, of
course, but v. entertaining.

Ania