Pangur the cat

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Mon Jan 22 08:27:40 EST 2001

> Ania wrote:
> >Thanks for the welcome, sorry it took so long to reply... The poem was
> the
> >one known as "The scholar and his cat", the cat's name being Pangur.
>
> Hmm. I seem to recall that one. It's quoted in a book, ah, and the
> German title was, ah, Pembroke's (sp?) cat. And I liked it. Now I'm
> curious... What was the original language?
>
> Bettina

It's in Irish (Gaelic), early 9th c., found on a MS in Austria. The MS is
now at St. Paul's monastery in Carinthia. (wherever that is, Austria
presumably). This info is from "A Golden Treasury of Irish Poetry AD 600 -
1200", ed. David Greene & Frank O'Connor. The text and translation are
included. There is a rhyming translation by Robin Fowler in a book "Poems
and Translations".
Ania