Serafina, origin of.

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Jan 22 07:33:40 EST 2001

>Surely Serafina is originally Hebrew?
>Ania

Gili:
I suppose "seraph" is Hebrew, one of the numerous biblical words for angel.
But I've never heard of anyone named "seraph", and "ina" is a distinctly
non-Hebrew ending for a name.

I gues it's another case of somebody thinking "that sounds pretty"- or
"little angel, what a nice name". So it's "from Hebrew", rather than
actually *being* Hebrew. (Like Mary or something- mutated to fit into the
common language sounds of the namer.) Has anyone else seem the amazing
musical Serafina? About the children's uprising in Soweto. I think the
Serafina of the title was a black teacher.
Jennifer