The nature of magic

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Jan 17 13:25:25 EST 2001

I've been mulling over the nature of my magic, and that of some people I know -
the latter being a lot easier than the former, by the way!

I think my magic would be concerned with discovering true names of things, and
how seemingly unrelated objects or events interconnect on a magical level.

I have a friend, though, whose magical talent is far more obvious.  It is very
similar to Tanaquil's talent in Tanith Lee's Unicorn books - that of seeing how
something works, what is wrong with it, and how it can be mended - and (to my
mind) almost as strong.

To bring in Dark Lord, I think Callette has a very similar talent - it takes
more than just the knowledge of electronics a native of Derk's world might have
to see how to use calculator innards to control the luminescence (converted
calculator display circuitry?) for some of her touch-sensitive gizmos.  I think
she has been unconciously using magic to determine which calculator chips do
what, and probably to manipulate them into the right form for her final product,
too.

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970