Dorian's shapeshifters (was nature of magic)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Jan 17 13:14:14 EST 2001

> I dunno about matter-energy. The imbalance at the scale we're used to
> dealing with is so immense (the c2 in E=mc2). Nuclear dragons are a
> neat image, though.

I'd go along with Nat on this, I'm afraid...

> You could also have a creature accrete surrounding matter to gain
> size/mass (that's how we grow naturally), and secrete it to reduce.
> Every time you shrink you leave a pile of dust (or something
> else...ewww), and every time you grow you need to use dirt

Jack the Bodiless does just this in Julian May's Galactic Millieu books whenever
he needs a body

> (ooh...Biblical/golem echoes), or a tree, or gold (to become a
> dragon?).

Fun concept!

> Interesting question, Dorian...

Definitely.  Incidentally, why did you pick such a small size for the dragon?

Someone else said you could become denser as you get smaller, and when you get
back to human size, comment on how it felt to be no longer so scrunched up - I
was reminded forcibly of Hafny finding it uncomfortable to be spread out in
Power of Three.  But none of them had trouble doing anything small, even mice.
(Which could take me on to Wilkins' Tooth / Witch's Business...)

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970