dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #259

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 17 07:04:22 EST 2001

>Would it work to call him "cat" most of the time but occasionly
>have people use "khatouli" as a longer form, to make the derivation
>clear?

hmm. I think not - on the one hand I think it would get too confusing to
have THREE names for him (counting Eric), on the other hand I think it's
being a little too obvious about the cattiness aspect. I think we might just
end up calling him Cat.

Funny thing is I now have a similar dilemma with William Goldman's "The
Princess Bride". Her name in English is Buttercup, a rather uncommon name,
which translates into "Nurit" in Hebrew, a rather common name. The
translator preferred to steer away from common names and has therefore
dubbed her "Marganit" - Daisy. So now the question is, which is the "truer"
translation?

There isn't really a correct answer. My experience with similar issues in
Harry Potter has shown me that critics will always point out the flaws in
whatever solution you find, regardless of the flaws in the alternative.