resurfacing after a long absence

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Jan 16 10:45:38 EST 2001

>Ania is pronounced exactly as written, to my eyes, but I'll try to clarify.
>Both As are short, like in Northern English "bath". Stress in first A, two
>syllables. The I only serves to soften the N, so the sound is like French
>"gn" in e.g. ligne. Most English - speaking people upon hearing it spell it
>Anya. (It's SO irritating!)

Well, that's how I was pronouncing it in my head, but then I was
thinking "Anya", so I'd have been one of those so irritating people.
At least now I know for sure, and will "see" it correctly while
reading it.

Hallie - pronounced to rhyme with "Sally" or "valley", but then we've
done this before here - and no one was exactly asking ;)