Introduction

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jan 16 09:02:49 EST 2001

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 kylie.preisig at police.wa.gov.au wrote:

> Excellent story!  I met him at the Worldcon in Melbourne.  He was
> doing signings and I didn't have my copy of Sabriel with me, but I
> went up to him and told him how much I enjoyed Sabriel.  He said
> he'd just finished the sequel the night before!  Seemed like a very
> nice guy.  And of course he has excellent taste in children's
> fantasy :)

And *I* met Garth Nix at the Aussiecon last year. I didn't have a copy
of Sabriel to get him to sign, but as it happened he was handing out
free copies...

(There was this print run that had something wrong with it, so he was
handing copies out at the convention in the hope of getting more
people lining up to buy the sequel. It's definitely worked in my case.)

So now I have a signed collector's copy of Sabriel, happy memories of
my meeting with Garth Nix, and an irrepressible urge to read
everything he's written.

It's a pity the Garbeliad's never going to get published, though. :)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."