Site updates

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Tue Jan 16 06:01:11 EST 2001

Gili wrote:
 >I doubt very much that the books have been translated more than
>once into the same language, unless the publishing business in Germany
has
>flourished beyond my wildest dreams!

:-)

>Usually a translation contract gives translation rights to one
particular
>publishing house for several years; it might take a decade or more
after a
>book has been translated for the translation rights to revert back to
the
>original owner for resale.

The reason I thought of this is because "The Magicians of Caprona" will
be reprinted, by another publishing house, under a different title. The
original edition was in the early 1980ties, nearly 20 years ago. (I feel
I'm getting old ;-) I haven't checked, but it might also be, that the
original publishing house doesn't exist anymore. At least I couldn't
find them in the net... Your insider's view is very interesting, anyhow.

>Which is one of the reasons why most of the books
>that are available in multiple translation are really old books, often
books
>that are in public domain. Unless the rights are cheap, the author is a
sure
>sell, and there is something to be clearly gained by updating a
translation,
>a book is not likely to ever be retranslated.

I believe the German reprints are also caused by the "Harry Potter
Wave". The new publishing house is, if I recall correctly, the one that
publishes HP, too. They probably think DWJ is a "sure sell" ("while you
are waiting for HP 5, try this")... Well, we'll see when the book comes
out.

About Cat's name: He's Cat in the German translation. I don't remember
whether I understood the implications when I first read the book as a
child. Probably not. But - isn't explained in the book somewhere? (I
looked for it but couldn't find it.) I like your suggestion as well.
Although I couldn't imagine the German equivalent (Kaetzchen? Kater?
Katze?) to work. I just wanted to add that animal pet names are unusual
for children (for your lover, that's another story) in German (not like
in England, where I heard quite a lot of them), when I recalled the my
mom used to called me "little mouse" when I was very small. So maybe it
could have worked.

Bettina