yotg discussion

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 16 07:09:07 EST 2001

I'm not sure that the fact that results are hard to replicate means that
magic is not scientific. I think it has more to do with the fact that there
are SOOO many factors to replicate. *Who* is doing the magic is evidently
crucial to the results. The spell is affected by everything to do with the
conditions surrounding it, and the person casting it: how much training they
had recieved, where their natural talents and inclinations lie, what they
had eaten for breakfast, where they were standing in relation to a point of
power, what the weather was like that day, whether they had had any
training. In this respect I think magic could be compared to a skill like
athletics: not all people are capable of running a mile in four minutes, or
swimming across the channel; sometimes the same person succeeds on one trial
but fails on the next. However, the principles guiding whether one can or
can not succeed in athletics are still scientific principles. The same with
magic.