The nature of magic (and back to Godshatter)

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 20:56:48 EST 2001

Date sent:      	Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:21:33 -0500
From:           	owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones))
To:             	dwj-digest at suberic.net
Subject:        	dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #258
Send reply to:  	dwj at suberic.net
Hallie wrote
> Given the ability to fiddle magically with genetic material, Derk
> _would_ get it right because a griffin is what he would produce when
> he produced, er, a griffin.  And your idea about trying to work with
> an old recipe makes sense to me too.  A griffin wasn't Derk's own
> idea obviously, or it would have been something unknown in mythology.

That's about where I was coming from. I find that when I try to think
about science and magic together, especially genetics and magic
my head begins to spin. I then have a tendency to know what I
mean but not how to say it. This is quite topical for me at the
moment as I've started to run my "science that's the same as
magic " role playing campaign, which was discussed on the
Godshatter thread. There's one player, Asha, who has been
reading the same books as me and I find myself saying "Well Asha
knows what I mean, every time I get in a muddle. She's playing a
the only character who deals with stuff on the meta level -- which is
just as well really. I've invented a skill for her called metaphysical
hacking,  which will let her do the really deep stuff eventually,
whatever it is. It basically stands for that bit of the science that we
can't distinguish from magic....................

Luckily I thought of a good wheeze to get over the fact that I don't
know what I'm doing yet -- the first scenario was part of their virtual
reality training. Thus we can change anything that doesn't work
without damaging the integrity of world or characters. So far I've
discovered that monstrous creatures built to a fantasy model can't
hack it against the damage from high tech weapons but the thing
as a whole is working.

Btw who is the Gods' hatter?

                                           Ven.