the nature of magic

Robyn Starkey robyns at corplink.com.au
Mon Jan 15 03:11:10 EST 2001

>Oh, I so agree!  I've been having dreadful trouble with the shapeshifters in
>the book I'm writing, because they *must* obey the Law of Conservation of
>Mass, but then what happens when a 2' long dragon transforms into a 5'6"
>human?  (Or vice versa)

There are a couple of okay books by Mercedes Lackey and someone (Andre
Norton?) called Elvenblood and something similar - sorry to be so vague but
the books are down 2 flights of stairs and if I go down there my baby will
want to come and help me email and her idea of helping is to unplug the
modem - ANYWAY, the books deal with shapeshifting dragons and they have
some cool solutions to the mass thing. When they go down in size, the extra
mass goes into the 'out' which seems to be a spirit plane or similar, and
some trained people can still see it in some way. Also, they have definite
limits on how small they can go because of this imbalance. The books are
not great but they are full of interesting ideas about magic, including an
exploration of the difference between being able to do big powerful magic
and little fine detail magic.

Robyn