the nature of magic

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sun Jan 14 16:12:13 EST 2001

Robyn (on magical weight loss):

>NO, it would be bound to come back and bite you in the behind
>somehow (possibly literally), because what are the underlying
>reasons you want to lose the weight, etc. Of course lots of writers'
>universes depend on the idea that magic burns heaps of energy, so
>that wizards are naturally thin (Pratchett is the glaring exception)
>so perhaps a weight loss spell would be dangerous because the energy
>it takes to maintain it also causes weight loss and then you are in
>danger of melting away...

Oh, I dunno.  I think metabolic rate could be upped by enough to deal
with the likes of 10 or 15 unwanted pounds.  Of course, the extra
body heat generated might be more pleasant in Ireland (or the UK, or
Ingary, by the sounds of it) than in hotter climes.

Couple that with a Sophie-style hat telling you that you look
marvellous (even if there's still a pound or two more than on a
model-type), _and_ that you will feel satisfied with a healthy diet
and it should work beautifully!

Hallie.