the nature of magic

Robyn Starkey robyns at corplink.com.au
Sat Jan 13 20:36:09 EST 2001

>I've never been able to figure out why Harry Potter has to go on wearing
>glasses. And surely magic would be rather good for disposing of one's
>unwanted pounds of flesh?

NO, it would be bound to come back and bite you in the behind somehow
(possibly literally), because what are the underlying reasons you want to
lose the weight, etc. Of course lots of writers' universes depend on the
idea that magic burns heaps of energy, so that wizards are naturally thin
(Pratchett is the glaring exception) so perhaps a weight loss spell would
be dangerous because the energy it takes to maintain it also causes weight
loss and then you are in danger of melting away...

Robyn