The nature of magic (& some raw theology)

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Fri Jan 12 10:48:45 EST 2001

>On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 kylie.preisig at police.wa.gov.au wrote:
>
>>  Yes!  I've been meaning to post saying that I think my magic would
>>  by like programming.  And every programmer has their own style.
>
>I find the thought of anybody doing magic the way I do computer
>programming rather worrying. My usual technique is to write something
>that I think will work, then attempt to run it and fix the bugs as and
>when they appear. Imagine the potential consequences of doing magic
>that way...

Which is what worries a lot of folks about bioengineering. Computer
software  tends towards entropic crashes, unless you build in
virus-like qualities. Computers don't have deep-coded desire to
reproduce...

The discussion reminded me of the varieties of magic in Diane Duane's
WIZARDRY series...really most of her work, as the cat-series is set
in the same universe-setup. I thought she did a more elegant job than
most at developing radically different styles of magic based in the
biolgical/social context of the species in question. And I think that
the way that led into ecumenical religious overtones in the third
book were interesting...the commonalities of wizardry across species
implies a common base ("He is the sun god, he is the one god, Ra Ra
Ra!"). This as opposed to DWJ's theological base, which strikes me as
a lot more pantheistic (or Phillip Pullman's, which is Seriously
pantheistic, to the point of making the Unideity a pretender...).