Connie Willis/casting

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Jan 11 16:49:28 EST 2001

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Becca wrote:

> About casting HMC:
> think that Julia Stiles (who plays grown-up Amy in the newest version
> of Little Women with Winona Ryder, and Kat in 10 Things I Hate About
> You) should be Lettie. She has Attitude.
I agree that Julia Stiles has Attitude, and I absolutely adore her, but
she actually did not play grown-up Amy. That was Samantha Mathis.

And amid all this stuff about people playing "Old Sophie" I feel obliged
to mention that it's really hard to get people who look enough the
same; it's a lot easier when one of the two different ages is in the child
years, because people change a lot more during puberty than they do over
the next fifty years or so. And it's especially hard to get two people
whose voices sound the same. I think they did a really good job in "A
League of Their Own," when they managed to find an older actress who
really looked like Geena Davis, and then (I'm pretty sure) dubbed her
voice in. Especially since there's all this stuff about Sophie looking
younger, I think makeup would be a better way to do it. If it's done well,
it wouldn't look fake...

--Kyla, with at least three cents...