the nature of magic

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Jan 10 16:46:48 EST 2001

Jacob suggested...

> >Oh, I so agree!  I've been having dreadful trouble with the shapeshifters
in
> >the book I'm writing, because they *must* obey the Law of Conservation of
> >Mass, but then what happens when a 2' long dragon transforms into a 5'6"
> >human?  (Or vice versa)
> >
> >I don't care if it's magic, it's gotta make sense!  (Now I'm puzzling
about
> >vampires...)
>
> Well, mass doesn't equal size.  You can have a very heavy 2' long dragon
> that transforms into a normally weighted 5'6" human.  He's just a compact
2'
> long dragon.  He can even comment on what a relief it is to stop being so
> scrunched up.

Unfortunately, doesn't work, 'cause the dragon's gotta be able to fly.  But
all became well when I remembered that matter = energy (and solved the
fire-breathing question at the same time!).

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

No, I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on tape somewhere.