yotg discussion with spoilers

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 21:37:59 EST 2001

                                               BIG SPACE

Kyla and Philip were having this discussion

>  My worry was more along the lines of, How did Derk get his griffins so right,
> >> when he didn't seem to know about natural griffins when he started
> >
> > Maybe it's just that there are only certain ways the various DNA bits can
> > combine. Natural griffins presumably evolved...wait a minute. How the hell
> > do you evolve a *griffin*? What if they were magically created in the
> > first place? Otherwise they probably wouldn't be fertile. Think horses and
> > donkeys--they're a *lot* more alike than cats and birds, and their
> > offspring is sterile. So I think it would make more sense that a long-ago
> > wizard did similar things to what Derk did and came up with viable
> > griffins.

I have a belated two pennorth. One p says it could all be solved
with a time travel plot. IE at some point some griffins descended
from the ones Derk made go back and become their own
ancestors! Two p says its not clear exactly where Derk got his
ideas from  -- he might have been trying to recreate an old recipe.
That fits quite well with Hallie's idea too, that there is only one way
to combine the genes to get the desired result of a griffin. It still
bothers me a bit though that Elda is the only one to have cat
genes.
                                           Ven.