dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #255

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 18:24:18 EST 2001

Date sent:      	Sun, 7 Jan 2001 18:18:18 -0500
From:           	owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones))
To:             	dwj-digest at suberic.net
Subject:        	dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #255
Send reply to:  	dwj at suberic.net

> Does anyone know of a readable history of the shift in Western
> education from theological to humanistic and then scientific? Could
> be a really interesting story, if well-told.

Its a while since I read it but you might try Keith Thomas' Religion
and the Decline of magic, tho' it only covers the period between the
collapse of the medieval church until 1700

The blurb says:
"Witchcraft, astrology, divination and every kind of popular magic
flourished during this period. At the same time men began to reach
for a scientific explanation of the universe, and the Protestant
Reformation attempted to take the magic out of religion."

The focus is on thought rather than education however. I remember
soem fascinating stuff about the medievals using prayers in the
same way as magical charms and there's a hilarious account of
the bad behaviour of church congregations (at that time they were
fined if they did not go).
                                           Ven.