Connie Willis/casting

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sun Jan 7 07:43:11 EST 2001

I haven't written in ages and ages and ages, because I have School
and Work, but anyway, Hi, Becca here!

I HAVE to write back regarding Connie Willis. She is joint with DWJ
as my all-time favourite author, and as well as writing some amazing
books (amazing amazing amazing!!!), she is also incredibly
unbelievably nice. AGES ago (In September 2000, I think) I wrote her
a letter, and a few weeks ago, when I'd just finished my Christmas
exams and was badly in need of cheering up, I got a PACKAGE from her.
(Package! Not letter! Package!) She wrote me a six-page letter
(!!!!!! Count the exclamation marks, six!) and sent me a signed copy
of her newest book Miracle. (Which is brilliant.) And Mom tried to
steal it for putting in a glass case and said she'd buy me another
copy, for reading, but I wouldn't let her. Hah. So there. ;)

Every single book I've read by Connie Willis has been wonderful. I
loved Doomsday Book--which Mom STILL hasn't plucked up enough courage
to read--and I loved Fire Watch and To Say Nothing of the Dog and
Bellwether and I loved Lincoln's Dreams especially and Miracle. (You
wouldn't know I liked Connie Willis, would you?)

About casting HMC: Cara came up with the idea that Kate Winslet
should be either the Witch of the Waste or Ms Angorian, and that
Gloria what's-her-name (Old Rose in Titanic) should be Old Sophie. I
think that Julia Stiles (who plays grown-up Amy in the newest version
of Little Women with Winona Ryder, and Kat in 10 Things I Hate About
You) should be Lettie. She has Attitude.

I think Doomsday Book would make a brilliant movie too, because it's
such a 'surprise!' story, and because special effects and make-up
and costume could really be put to use. Would anyone else who's read
it agree with me? (I'm trying to make Mom read it, but so far I
haven't had very much luck. :) )

Cheers,
Becca