The nature of magic

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 7 08:57:43 EST 2001

>I bet you could whip up some really fiendish magical jigsaw puzzles.
>Perhaps they would come in the usual box but the user would soon find that
>they were being led into some serious mental sweat as well as strange
>journeys, unusual smells, holographic whimsies and fiendish problem solving
>based on inquiry into and application of known principles.  Who knows
>*what*
>the finished puzzle would be like, or what it might be capable of doing
>once
>assembled?

I want one of these!

>Gili's proposed magic sounds like she could probably persuade me into just
>about anything through a sort of step by step finesse where everything
>would
>seem extremely reasonable at every stage but I would be delirious with
>amazement at the end when I look back all the way to the beginning.   What
>am I doing here in Hong Kong wearing a tuxedo when I meant to go to the
>corner store?

LOL!
I didn't realise I was that talented!

>Hallie's sounds like a sort of perception magic - a discovery of hidden
>wonder magic?  I see what you mean about it being a sort of bringing along,
>bringing out magic like Sophie's, but maybe more of a teaching magic than
>Sophie's?  What do you think?

Sounds lovely, and loving...

>as far as
>ambient, I was thinking the magic would be like a mist or dew or in the
>quality of light...

You should read Rogin McKinley's "Spindle's End". Here's the opening
paragraph:

"The magic in that country was so thick and tenacious that it settled over
the land like chalk-dust and over floors and shelves like slightly sticky
plaster-dust. (Housecleaners in that country earned unusually good wages.)
If you lived int hat country, you had to de-scale your kettle of its
encrustation of magic at least once a week, because if you didn't, you might
find yourself pouring hissing snakes or pond slime into your teapot instead
of water."

If I had a random quote generator, I'd stick in:
"my magic would be verisimilitudinous" - Elise McMullin

>"And one of those bookcases, like in Chrestomanci Castle, with
>infinite numbers of books on it."

Yes, I want one of these too...
And that origami-magic idea has a lot of potential...