yotg discussion (Spoilers)

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Fri Jan 5 14:59:35 EST 2001

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001 19:15:22 +0000 (GMT), Tanaqui wrote:

>Jacob:
>+ I rather doubt that.  They'll write things like "Gold is found by extending
>+ shaft 13 another 100 feet."  And "A weapon's temper may be improved by
>+ folding the metal 1,000 times."  The book is a dream for inventor/craftsmen.
>
>I should edit out your first statement, since it will fade from the book! Any
>records of that which is demonstrably /verifiably true, like your second
>statement would be rather a waste of the Book. It would have been nice if
>some craftsman had entered the notion "salt water is as good as blood for
>tempering a blade" and have it remain in the face of superstitious reasoning
>about "virtue" in blood-tempering a weapon, but only to stop the blood-letting
>before experimental proof was supplied. Still rather a waste.

Ah.  But demonstrably/verifiably is a lot different from
demonstrated/verified.  I'm not sure what wording was actually used, but I
had the (perhaps incorrect) impression that it could be used this way.
Saving thousands of hours in actual experimentation.

On the other hand, given the proclivity of the Dwarves in the book, I think
the actual use may be more as a portable polygraph.

Jacob