The nature of magic

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Fri Jan 5 06:54:47 EST 2001

Gili:
I've been thinking about what my magic would be like, and it's brought my
attention to Things I Think about Myself that I never thought of before.
I think there would be something a little smug about my magic, but then I'm
in good company with many DWJ protagonists.
I think my magic would have a lot to do with perceiving similarities in
seemingly different things, and finding a way to convince them that they
belong together; or tracing a common thread down to a common ancestor. I
wouldn't be very methodological, most of my magic would be intuitive. And it

would be very sensible and unromantic.

What fun! I know mine would only work on things I was really interested in.
(I could probably do Derkish things, genes and phenotypes are fascinating.)
And I'd have to understand things properly, know how they worked as a system
or fit together, then I could put a spell-structure together to manipulate
them (lots of diagrams, probably.) It wouldn't be very imaginative, (except
when I managed to make a leap and get a deeper understanding,) but it'd
certainly be enjoyable to do.
One of my first spells would have to be Don't-notice-me, for use when
reading. And one of those bookcases, like in Chrestomanci Castle, with
infinite numbers of books on it.
Jennifer