yotg discussion (spoilers)

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Wed Jan 3 12:05:03 EST 2001

Tanaqui:

Your points are well taken, but...

To me Philip's point about deus ex machina, which I agreed with in
reading them the first time, has less to do with Policant stepping
forward, and more with the way his not just being a statue is merely
hinted at. If, for example, an early problem had surfaced involving
stasis (one of the characters being placed in that position and
having its reversal be one of the Problems To Be Solved), it would
have felt less abrupt. It's less the deus I object to, more the
machina.

The continuity of problem and solution, the sense that all the pieces
have been there all along (like Dorothy's ruby slippers in Wizard of
Oz) is what makes most of Jones's plots so wonderfully satisfying.
And many of the problems in this book have organic-feeling solutions,
or rather complexes of problem-partial solution-more problems-further
solution-etc. I love that dynamic. It's one of the things that makes
fiction (especially genre fiction) so satisfying.

Nat