green ink = nutter

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 20:03:27 EST 2001

> I resent that remark. My fountain pen is filled with green ink right now,
> and when it isn't, it has purple ink in it. And I am not a conspiracy nut.
> So there.
> Seriously, I have only come across the green ink=nutter thing since I came
> to the UK. Is it an international thing, or just in English speaking
> countries, or just UK?
> Or has it got a literary origin? Does anyone know?
> Ania

I'm so sorry Ania, it was just a throwaway line, honest. Some of
my best friends use green ink ..........

The green ink = nutter thing has been around for some time. I
seem to remember it started with celebs and writers claiming they
could spot the nutty letters by the ink colour, then it became
shorthand for them

. OF course its not JUST the ink COLOUR ITS; The strange USE,
of capital leeters. and the peculiar PUNCTUATUION and speeling
that GIVE them away? I have seen a genuine, barking stalker's
letter and it was actually written in black with spiffy illustrations of
wolves and skulls and blood drips. And a poem. It wasn't
addressed to me, thankfully,  and eventually got its writer 18
months.
                                           Ven.