OT: back covers, Spoilers for Shards of Honor

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Wed Feb 28 11:30:02 EST 2001

The worst example of back cover text I ever read was the one on the
German edition of Shards of honor by Lois McMaster Bujold.

It read somthing like "Shipwrecked on a dangerous planet Commander
Cordelia Naismith meets the young (!) Lord Aral Vorkosigan of the
hostile plante Barrayar who takes her captive. Together they overcome
the difficulties and fall in love. Despite her love Cordelia flees as
she learns of a conspiracy to involve her home planet in a war. At first
she is welcomed as a hero, but later her involvement with Vorkosigan
gets her into trouble. She flees again... Has her love a future?"
It is not only nearly a complete summary, but also incorrect. I really
felt cheated.

The whole plot was given away. Which shows again that it's a bad habit
to read the back cover text ;-) I really should try to quit...
Anyhow - tremdendous effort to get on topic - the German covers of "Deep
Secret" and "A sudden wild Magic" are hideous, and the cover text isn't
very good either. I'd never have considered reading them if I hadn't
known the author.

Bettina