Tim Wynne-Jones

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Sun Feb 18 14:01:11 EST 2001

My favorite TWJ is Book of Changes, another collection of short
stories. He has a very friendly, humane touch:his characters all do
whatever they do, wonderful or terrible, out of their own fallible
humanity. There's a story in BoC about a start hockey player and the
price of fame that gives me the chills whenever I read it.

I also liked Stephen Fair, which manages to ride a delicate line
amongst a teenage dealing-with-adults story, a coming-of-age story,
and a mystery. I didn't think it was as completely satisfying as his
short stories, but still find it haunting.

He also has more satisfying endings than DWJ.

It hasn't been updated for a while, but here's a bio and bibliography:
http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/pubs/ruoi/1996/wynne-jo.htm

-Nat

>Another book I must recommend very very highly: "The Maestro" by Tim
>Wynne Jones. I first took an interest in this author because of his
>surname, obviously, but he turned out to be excellent in his own
>distinct and unique way. I think his short story collection "Some of
>the Kinder Planets" has been mentioned here before - subtle short
>stories all set in Now Here but they all seem to find magic in
>everyday things. I liked "The Maestro" better: also set in Now Here,
>Canada - about a boy who runs away from his abusive father. Once
>again TWJ succeeds fabulously in writing a completely realistic,
>credible story about a troubled teen, with the sense that there is
>some dark magic subtly at work in the air. I'm not sure this is a
>good description, but it was an excellent book that is just
>screaming to be adapted for film.

Gili