yotg discussion (spoilers)

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Fri Feb 9 17:51:29 EST 2001

Philip wrote:
In fact, I
> thought Lydda was doubly silly - once for giving in to the impulse to mate
with
> Hareck as soon as she met him, and again for marrying him without really
> thinking about it.  My mother, on the other hand, claims this was entirely
in
> character - Lydda has always been impulsive and selfish...
> > Finally, (and this isn't a dislike, just a faint uneasiness), I found
> > the nature of the griffins a little disturbing.  The switches between
> > human nature and animal nature - for example, or especially, I
> > suppose, the description of Lydda meeting Acker, and the fighting
> > flight turning into a mating flight and then they get _married_.

There was lots more on the wild/GM griffin differences etc., and I agree
with a lot of it. Here is my tuppence's worth:

What worries me is that surely in the "natural" griffins' eyes Derk's
griffins would be veritable Frankenstein's monsters! Or are the natural ones
so politically correct that this sort of thing would not bother them? No, I
think not! If the animal side is dominant in their nature, then I cannot see
how Derk's brood could be in any way attractive to them. They would smell
wrong. Hostility would be the response one would expect.

> Love at first sight is linked in my mind with another literary phenomenon
that I
> dislike - love based purely on appearance.  For all I may find people's
> appearance attractive, that's not why I fall in love!

I think in case of Lydda and Hareck it was lust at first sight. Which is
intimately connected with both appearances and smell. And with love too,
methinks.

Ania