Fire and Hemlock revisited

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Feb 6 10:19:31 EST 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Gail TB wrote:
> I thought it was Hoo-ston?
Nope. At least, not the one in Texas. That one's definitely
"Hew-ston"--one of my good friends grew up there.

And at least here in the US, "Worcestershire" is pronounced with a
"sheer" at the end.

> I found both Greek and Hebrew nearly impossible, in spite of a
> supposed aptitude for languages - no problems with French,
> German, Italian or Latin!
Have you thought that your language learning/using style might be linked
to the alphabet? I had problems learning Hebrew, and could never even
attempt to spell things properly; but I found French and Latin quite easy,
and I'm an insane stickler for correct spelling in English. Then I
realized that when people speak, I actually picture the words they're
saying, meaning that my language skills are based on this alphabet. So I
could spell fine in French, but kept on trying to transliterate Hebrew.

I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell's ass.
       --Senator Barry Goldwater, when asked what he
       thought of Jerry Falwell's suggestion that all
       good Christians should be against Sandra Day
       O'Connor's nomination to the Supreme Court