OT short stories

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Mon Dec 24 14:09:15 EST 2001

I second Joan Aiken.

Roald Dahl's shorts are always good for a (often grim) laugh, and are
well put together. You might even try his adult stories out on them
if they're a mature 12/13...

Phillipppa Pearce's stories are wonderful as well, like Tim
Wynne-Jones in the generally wonder-filled glow they contain, and
they were available in the UK in paperback a couple years ago.

DWJ's and Margaret Mahy's are oddly disjointed, I find: I like her
longer books better. DWJ's especially often feel like out-takes from
her novels.

Does anyone else listen to "Selected Shorts" on US National Public
Radio? Really good actors reading short stories before a live
audience. Great show. A couple of the tapes are what I got my brother
for Xmas.

Nat