OT short stories

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sun Dec 23 13:41:37 EST 2001

Alex asked...

> I'll be teaching English to 12/13 year olds and am anxious to find
some good
> short stories - got Oddly Enough by Bruce Colville and Twelve
Imposible
> Things Before Breakfast by Jane Yolen - has anyone got any
suggestions?

Joan Aiken is very good, and her anthologies "All You Ever Wanted" and
"More Than You Bargained For" seem to be pretty easily available.

I don't know if it's still in print, but it might be worth tracking
down "Deadly Nightshade", edited by Peter Haining.  It's an anthology
of horror stories for and about kids (so none of them are *too*
nightmare-inducing).  I got my copy when I was 12-ish and loved most
of the stories in it - the M. R. James ghost story that opens it is an
absolute classic.

And this can, in fact, be on-topic; DWJ has edited a couple of fantasy
anthologies:  "Fantasy Stories" and "Hidden Turnings".  Each has a
story by her as well as a bunch of others.

I also recall liking the short stories of Frank O'Connor (to which I
was introduced in school English class) at that age, and those
shouldn't be hard to find.

HTH

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"