Old age, was RE: hexwood ...

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Dec 17 20:16:46 EST 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

> > I think the only one she talks to who thinks she is Howl's mother
> > is the King- she tells Mrs Pentstemmon she's 90 (and Mrs
> > Pentstemmon says "So old?"), but I'm sure she realises Sophie is
> > under a spell.
>
> I thought it was mentioned somewhere that Mrs P did realise that
> Sophie was under a spell.  I'd always assumed that Mrs P does the
> calculation, and if she hasn't already noticed the old age spell she
> notices it then.

As I recall, Howl told her when he was setting up the meeting; one of
his reasons for sending Sophie to meet Mrs P was so Mrs P could have a
look at the spell for herself and see if there was anything she could
do to help.

But I'm certain Mrs P would have spotted it straight off in any case.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."