Book Rec, going back to Reading Styles

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Sat Dec 8 12:07:11 EST 2001

Ven Saith:
>I do think of myself as a visual person some respects, I have a
>good memory for places I've been, and colours, and I'm good at
>finding small lost objects (very useful in archaeology). In exams I
>tended to visualise the relevant page of my notes -- to facilitate this
>I used coloured pens and permitted myself the odd doodle on my
>revision notes. However I was never alll that good at memorising
>poetry. The thing is that when people talk about "seeing or
>visualising" what they read I'm never sure if they are describing
>what i do or something more intense. It reminds me of Cat trying to
>use witch sight. Any image that I have is elusive, it can't be pinned
>down or looked at head on.

Yes that, but I think my version may be more intense.  Most visual cues are
more elusive at first, but after reading Hexwood a few times I can see very
clearly Banner's wood with a yellow pretzel bag by the root of one tree
adnt ehn you climb over some roots and go down the mud a ways and there's a
pop top in the mud and then there's this plank of wood that crosses a very
small groove, but as you go over it the groove becomes a gorge with running
water, and I couyld go on and on.  I once, when I was quite bored, and had
read the book recently re"read" the entirty of Hexwood by playing the
images I got from it in my head in order.

Questioned Hallie:
>> How much do people have to learn poetry in school/uni. then?  Not
>> that I'm assuming people only learn poetry when forced to, just that I was
>> wondering about English exams and how common it is to be expected to learn
>> poetry.

I have never yet _had_ to memorize poetry.  I had to give  a presentation
on Housman and E.A Robinson and was suprised to learn that I did not have
to look at my notes because after a few read-throughs I had memorized from
far, One and Twenty and Miniver Cheevy.  I have snce lost Miniver, which is
unusual, I rarely lose poetry.  I still have the other two memorized
(nearly a year later, with little reinforcement).  I also have Prufrock
memorized and the ballad of Tam Lin.  I'm scared of what will happen after
I take poetry this semester, because I've gotten very in to memorizing,
but, as my friend Charlie says, each time I memorize a long poem I'm at
risk of forgetting where I was born.  :-)

Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for eventually
it will be understood."-Rabbi Hillel