BD1 Hexwood

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Dec 8 11:54:18 EST 2001

Alex wrote

> I haven't got my copy of Hexwood at the moment so can't check what I'm
> saying, but the other thing that strikes me (and it is relevant to what
> I've just said), is the emphasis on age. Ann is initially pubescent but in
> reality is post-pubertal and desires not a wholesome hero of the classic
> mode but a known killer. She must be drawn in part to the darkness of
> Mordion as well as the 'true and good' part of him that his smile is
> supposed to convey. If I had my book I'd like to look up what happens to
> the ages of all the characters and the way time shifts - Ann can never
> guarantee when she will return to the wood. Why has the Bannus decided to
> make Ann into a child? Its actions don't seem to be completely random
> though it's not always possible to see structure in what happens. I did
> notice the great age of the Reigners - is there a hint that knowing one is
> semi-immortal corrupts, or that age innures you to atrocities?

I think the main reason Ann is a child is in order to subvert Reigner
One's command that Verrian and Mordion make a child together --
by making her too young. However I think it says somewhere that
the "creation" of Hume is also intended to do this. There,s bound to
be more to it -- there always is.

> Looking forward to more discussion - wish I'd had the chance to reread it
> - by the way I love the use of Runcorn as the portal. I know Runcorn quite
> well and it makes me laugh every time because lots of the council estates
> there were really quite space age in the 70s though many of them have been
> demolished now. I particularly liked the purple ones with porthole
> windows, they were really groovy!

Never been to Runcorn, I thought she'd chosen it for it's silly
sounding prosaic name!

                                           Ven.

The truth will make ye fret

Terry Pratchett, The Truth.