Book Rec, going back to Reading Styles

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Dec 8 11:45:48 EST 2001

Rebecca wrote

 >I am an extremely visual reader, but I memorize poetry quite quickly, and
> >often from just having read a poem once or twice.  I'm not quite sure
> >why, or how, but I can think back to the imagery each piece gave me, and
> >it flows and if even a word is reversed then the scene goes too fast or
> >slow.
>
> That's so interesting.  I can't even imagine how it might feel, but
> find it fascinating.  Does it make any difference at all whether
> you've heard the poem read or say it aloud or just see it on the page?

I do think of myself as a visual person some respects, I have a
good memory for places I've been, and colours, and I'm good at
finding small lost objects (very useful in archaeology). In exams I
tended to visualise the relevant page of my notes -- to facilitate this
I used coloured pens and permitted myself the odd doodle on my
revision notes. However I was never alll that good at memorising
poetry. The thing is that when people talk about "seeing or
visualising" what they read I'm never sure if they are describing
what i do or something more intense. It reminds me of Cat trying to
use witch sight. Any image that I have is elusive, it can't be pinned
down or looked at head on. I get other sensory impressions from
books -- I have a very strong feeling of the mud paths in Hexwood,
after the sun has come out I "know" how that surface would feel to
walk on.

> How much do people have to learn poetry in school/uni. then?  Not
> that I'm assuming people only learn poetry when forced to, just that I was
> wondering about English exams and how common it is to be expected to learn
> poetry.

Learning poetry was a common homework when I was at schooI,
for the most part I only remember scraps (I think I might have doen
better if I had known more about memory tricks). In exams you
were expected to be able to quote from poems and plays to
support your essays. I spent the night befroe the A level
Shakespeare paper reading the relevant quotes from King Lear to
my cat. (that's relevant as in likely to be useful in an exam).
                                           Ven.

The truth will make ye fret

Terry Pratchett, The Truth.