BD1 Hexwood (spoilers too)

Jennifer Forsyth jforsyth at equinox.unr.edu
Fri Dec 7 16:52:10 EST 2001

I want to echo Alex's question: Why has the Bannus decided to make Ann
into a child? And it's not just Ann, either, but Hume, although I can think of
an explanation for Hume's being a child. I think one of the problems I have with
Hexwood (and this isn't saying having problems can't be constructive) is that I
always feel cheated when I read it. It's not just that I think I know what's
going on and I don't, because I often enjoy books where stuff is going on I
don't understand until things come together later. I know I feel cheated, which
may well be exactly right given the plot, but I *liked* Ann. I liked the
village. I liked the "Earth"iness of it. When Ann realizes she's really Vierran,
I feel like Vierran's the substitute identity, not the other way around. And
while I'm thinking about it, there must be a good reason why Ann is sick at the
beginning, but I can't think why.

Jennifer