Old age, was RE: hexwood ...

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 11:00:56 EST 2001

>>BTW, has anyone else noted how odd it is that Sophie who *seems* "about 90"
>>can be taken as "Howl's old mother" when he's about 27? Do women in their
>>60s have babies in Ingary?
>
> Maybe witches could if they wanted!

Possibly.  But Calcifer thought that the age spell had knocked a good 60 years
of Sophie's life expectancy.  Ignoring the probability that she'd die before she
was old, or enter old age already decrepit, I assumed that Calcifer meant she
was physically in her late 70s.  That only puts her 50 years older than Howl -
unusual but not incredible.

> late mother? I think the only one she talks to who thinks she is Howl's
> mother is the King- she tells Mrs Pentstemmon she's 90 (and Mrs Pentstemmon
> says "So old?"), but I'm sure she realises Sophie is under a spell.

I thought it was mentioned somewhere that Mrs P did realise that Sophie was
under a spell.  I'd always assumed that Mrs P does the calculation, and if she
hasn't already noticed the old age spell she notices it then.

Philip.

prohibited.

Registered addresses:

Powergen UK plc, City Point, 1 Ropemaker Street, London, EC2Y 9HT
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Powergen Retail Limited,  Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry CV4 8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax           +44 (0) 2476 42 5432