hexwood ... i'm jumping in! -- spoilers ahoy

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Fri Dec 7 08:54:42 EST 2001

> unpleasant soul even before he became ridiculously long-lived. well, he's
> just utterly, utterly repugnant. i think reigner one may be the
> most-developed antagonist in DWJ's novels, actually. usually her
antagonists
> make my skin crawl with their horridness, but we don't get as much insight
> (laurel, mr chesney, lady marceny for example) into what makes them tick.

I think all DWJ villains suffer (!) from the same personality disorder; one
they share with CS Lewis's Queen Jadis and Uncle Andrew. It's stated
explicitly that these two ("Ours is a high and lonely destiny, my boy...")
feel themselves above everyone else, and with the DWJ villains, at least, I
get the feeling their age is part of it. Most of them are unusually aged or
belong to an age-old tradition so they feel above those ephemera they meet.
The reigners, the bush goddess, (Deep Secret), the goddess in TotG, Laurel,
the Witch of the Waste (Howl) are all infected, and so is Aunt Maria in
Black Maria.

Older characters *not* infected are usually just normally old, like Stan or
Gabriel DeWitt, or not as old as they seem, like Mordian and Antony Green.

BTW, has anyone else noted how odd it is that Sophie who *seems* "about 90"
can be taken as "Howl's old mother" when he's about 27? Do women in their
60s have babies in Ingary?

Sallyo.