DWJ's answers: Harry Potter

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Aug 31 18:14:12 EDT 2001

Melissa said...

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:26:27 +0100, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:
>
> >I wish to report that the list's capacity for hooking people on
books has
> >worked again. I read Stevermer's College of Magics on holiday and
it was
> >marvellous.
>
> Good for you.  I wish I liked her books better.  We're some kind of
> mismatch...I *admire* them a lot, and she's influenced me to believe
> Regency-style fantasy is possible, but I don't get drawn into them
very
> well.

WHAAAAT??!!  Sorry.  I'm a big fan of Georgette Heyer, and I love
fantasy set in periods other than the standard
faux-medieval/renessaince setting, so Regency fantasy really floats my
boat, so to speak.  Have you tried Patricia Wrede?  (Though possibly
I'm missing something here; I've only read "A College of Magics" and
that's not Regency.)

> But this list is, as you say, really good for hooking people on new
> books...doesn't ANYONE have something fabulous to suggest?  That I
haven't
> already read?  Anyone??

What have you already read?  And what do you like to read?  Not
knowing either of those, I can only suggest some things that I've read
recently and went "Wow!" a lot over...

Assuming you've read CW's "Passage"... (if not, DO!)

Otherwise..."Ash: A Secret History" by Mary Gentle.  Fantasy set in
something that's sort of historical Burgundy, with fantastical
elements and a framing device which isn't.

Anything by Philip Pullman; I enjoyed the Sally Lockhart stories, and
"His Dark Materials" is just stunningly cool and wonderful.  He builds
worlds like I wish I could build worlds.

Not quite as Wow-some, but pretty good, is Robin Hobb's "Liveship
Traders" trilogy.  Ignore the stupid sea-serpents at the beginning
(but skim quickly through them when they appear later, because
tiresome as they are, they're an integral part of the plot).

> At least a year, I think.  I just wish she'd finally get a handle on
a new
> Damar book.  I recommend visiting her web site, which is excellent

Yes, it is.  But I agree with you, it's about time she got reound to
doing some more Damar stuff.

> My primary motivation for writing--when I'm able to--is that no
matter how
> much of my favorite fantasy there is, it's Never Enough.

I think that's why most of us write - no-one else will write the
stories (or enough of the stories) that we want to read.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian. (tired and probably rambling aimlessly)
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"I feel that if a character cannot communicate, the very least he can
do is to shut up!"
--Tom Lehrer