Gaiman: Stardust & American Gods

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Fri Aug 31 17:56:24 EDT 2001

>  >---Original Message From: Rebecca Ganetzky
>>>  Um...You've probably read them all but my personal favorites
>>>  that haven't been discussed here that I can remember:
>>>  Crichton's Timeline, for people into SF and Everst universes.
>>>  deLint's anything, but particularly Dreams Underfoot. Gaiman
>>>  and Pratchett's Good Omens. Gaiman's Neverwhere and Stardust
>>
>On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:09:12 -0600, Jacob Proffitt wrote:
>  >I'll add that Gaiman's _American Gods_ is excellent.  I think that
>>Gaiman is fully hitting his stride in novel form.  I found _Stardust_ a
>  >bit, um, sketchy at times--too pictorial and static.

And Melissa added:

>*WHY* am I the only one who liked _Stardust_?  Okay, sure, I can accept
>finding it dull after reading the graphic novel version, but...either I'm
>missing something or everyone else is nuts.  I think it's a really good
>fairy tale and he's using a roughly fairy-tale narrative style.  I do want
>to read the graphic novel eventually, though.

I agree, mostly. _American Gods_ is a much stronger book. Lots more
death, earth-wrenchingness, and general Deep Stuff. I found it
comparable to Neverwhere, which I also liked a lot.

_Stardust_ was a lovely book on its own terms, which is to say, a
fairy tale. And I thought Charles Vess's illustrations were half the
delight. I can't understand why they released it as text-only. It's
like Winnie the Pooh without Shepard's pictures; sure it hangs
together, but the combination is what really makes it hum.

Sometimes meaty reading, entrails and all, is not what is called for.
I've been kept up the last couple nights with Louise Erdrich's _The
Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse_ (I think there's
another word in the title somewhere), and I really should have read
something light. On the other hand, it is a wonderful book, if pretty
painful.

Nat