DWJ's answers: Harry Potter

Fri Aug 31 16:35:40 EDT 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:26:27 +0100, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

>I wish to report that the list's capacity for hooking people on books has
>worked again. I read Stevermer's College of Magics on holiday and it was
>marvellous.

Good for you.  I wish I liked her books better.  We're some kind of a
mismatch...I *admire* them a lot, and she's influenced me to believe a
Regency-style fantasy is possible, but I don't get drawn into them very
well.

>I got To Say Nothing Of The Dog some time ago and couldn't get
>into it at all, (and didn't dare admit it) and I'd just finished my library
>books so I tried again today and it is, of course, wonderful.

See?  SEE?  :)

> And THEN I got
>to work and there was Tam Lin, which I have been trying to order for MONTHS
>and it kept falling through, so I had to start it at once and I am ADDICTED.

Heeheeheeheee, I love your ramblings.  It's as good as rambling myself.

>The trouble is, this is so good that it makes me all cross with everything
>else around. I wish I hadn't read all of DWJ's books so I could fall into
>one in this sort of way. Her new one sounds like it won't be out for ages.

I know all about this feeling.  Every so often I hit a dead spot where it
seems I've read all the good books there ever will be, and I'm never going
to find anything wonderful again.  This last week it seemed like everything
I read was either terrible or depressing.  Realistically I know I can't
possibly have read everything good there is to read, but it just seems such
a long time to wait for the ones I *know* will be good.

But this list is, as you say, really good for hooking people on new
books...doesn't ANYONE have something fabulous to suggest?  That I haven't
already read?  Anyone??

>Bujold's
>Curse of Chalion has come out in hardback so I should be able to sneak into
>shops and read it but nowhere has it, not even the SF bookshops.

I actually wasn't going to buy this one in hardcover right away.  I didn't
like _The Spirit Ring_, her only other fantasy, and while I liked the
chapters I read online, it didn't really grab me.  It's Jacob's fault that
we bought it at all, and I'm so glad we did.  I'm sorry it's not out in the
UK yet.  I loved the theology/magic system and the characters are very
interesting (though there was one point where I thought it was Miles and
Ivan talking).  Worth reading.

>Spindle's
>End came out not long ago so I suppose there won't be a new McKinley for a
>while either.

At least a year, I think.  I just wish she'd finally get a handle on a new
Damar book.  I recommend visiting her web site, which is excellent--lots of
Q&A, some great essays, and general all-around fun:

http://www.robinmckinley.com/

> And that's about all of the authors who grab my mind like
>this. Other authors I like a lot (Cherryh, Pratchett, Kerr, Allingham,
>Sayers, the usual suspects * ), and I read history or science and find it
>really interesting, but they just don't have the same *feel*, I want to be
>enthralled by something magical, dammit, and once I finish this I'm back to
>rereading- which is a joy, but not the same.

My primary motivation for writing--when I'm able to--is that no matter how
much of my favorite fantasy there is, it's Never Enough.

> Mutter grumble. Maybe Forbidden
>Planet has The Last Unicorn or Bridge of Birds or some Lord Dunsany.

Wait, wait, does this mean you HAVEN'T read _Bridge of Birds_ yet?  Because
if that's the case, we have got to get you a copy.  I'd even go to the
bookstore and get one for you.  It's on the shelf at Barnes & Noble.

>There
>are some books I wanted for my birthday and didn't get, perhaps those would
>help. Maybe I should go back to Fantasy Central and buy the Sabirn Trilogy
>(if somebody else hasn't gotten it). Maybe I should go to the library and
>not impoverish myself further. Maybe I should read Howl again and stop
>whinging.

I control my whinging by keeping a mental list of which DWJ I haven't read
recently.  Just finished _Hexwood_ again.  Maybe I need to get out _Year of
the Griffin_, which I've only read once.  Maybe I should get a real life and
find something to do that doesn't include reading...

...or maybe not.

"Buffy" reruns start in just 25 days.

Melissa Proffitt
using up her quota of rambles for the day