DWJ's answers: Harry Potter

Fri Aug 31 16:10:21 EDT 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:50:21 +0100, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

>>Jennifer wrote, among other things:
>>>And that's about all of the authors who grab my mind like
>>> this.
>
>Ros wrote:
>>I'm actually dying to comment on some of the books and authors you've
>>mentioned in this email, but it's so late at night now that I just want to
>>ask you if you've tried Patricia McKillip? You do have to 'work' a bit when
>>reading her books because her lyrical, rich style requires close attention
>>and is also wonderfully ambiguous, but she's another writer who can really
>>take me into that other world you seem to want to enter.
>
>I've only read Forgotten Beasts of Eld. I enjoyed it a lot, I also thought
>it was very good (Shades of the lit-crit thread! I'm sure various people
>said they could see a book was good but not enjoy it and all the other
>combinations of that), but it didn't somehow give me the same "feel" that
>enthralls me in the manner of a DWJ. My SO is reading one of hers (can't
>remember which) at the moment and I'll read it after he does, so I'll soon
>have another chance to tell.

Read the Riddle-master books and see how those grab you.  Excellent in the
same way, but potentially more engaging, I think.  Her most recent books are
very different--my reading group talked about whether or not they are
fairy-tale retellings.  I say not; someone else says Yes.  Well, some of
them are.  _Winter Rose_ is a Tam Lin story, but _The Tower in Stony Wood_
is "The Lady of Shalott" and NOT Rapunzel.  Okay, okay, I guess you can read
it as Rapunzel...but I think that's pretty shaky.

Melissa Proffitt