DWJ's answers: Harry Potter

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Fri Aug 31 11:50:21 EDT 2001

Ros wrote:
>I'm actually dying to comment on some of the books and authors you've
>mentioned in this email, but it's so late at night now that I just want to
>ask you if you've tried Patricia McKillip? You do have to 'work' a bit when
>reading her books because her lyrical, rich style requires close attention
>and is also wonderfully ambiguous, but she's another writer who can really
>take me into that other world you seem to want to enter.

I've only read Forgotten Beasts of Eld. I enjoyed it a lot, I also thought
it was very good (Shades of the lit-crit thread! I'm sure various people
said they could see a book was good but not enjoy it and all the other
combinations of that), but it didn't somehow give me the same "feel" that
enthralls me in the manner of a DWJ. My SO is reading one of hers (can't
remember which) at the moment and I'll read it after he does, so I'll soon
have another chance to tell.
Jennifer