Tam Lin query

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Wed Aug 22 19:19:36 EDT 2001

I'm reading Pamela Dean's Tam Lin for the third time, and have a few queries
for anyone who is fmailiar with the text. It seems rather like a collection
of scenes on a thrid reading.

E.G.  "Here we have the Thomas-and-Janet sledging scene." When they slide
down the hill on trays alone, their ride is uneventful. When they try to do
it together, the tray departeth this slope and they nearly end up in the
creek.

Is this a reference to the fact that if they stay separate they will walk
their old paths, yet if/when they get together (as they do) they'll take a
new and perilous one?

There are lots of scenes like this one, often between J and T... Thomas
seems about to reject gifts from Janet for example on his birthday.

Also, for the US contingent, there are refereces to "pennies" and "autumn".
I thought you had "cents" and "fall"?

Finally, Nick smells of sage, Robin of lavender and Thomas of rue. Is this
code for Wisdom, Perpetuity and Regret?

Anon - oh, and the oblig. DWJ ref - Thomas and Howl are both struggling
against their fates, and are both using a sweetheart to avert same.

Sallyo.