Howl film

Fiona Haggart F.Haggart at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 22 15:41:11 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Nat Case <ncase at hedbergmaps.com>
To: <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 6:59 PM
Subject: RE: Howl film

> As an American who has been in Wales for a total of three days, my
> ideas of "Welshness" are not terribly developed. I get more out of
> the context within the book that he is from a differently-languaged
> minority within a larger culture, that it has a love of
> rough-and-tumble things like football (and football chants).

If I remember rightly it's rugby he prefers - he wears a rugby shirt when
he's 'at home'. Wales is famous for its rugby tradition and the songs
historically were rugby songs sung by welsh choirs at games long before they
were adopted by football crowds, where singing/chanting is a fairly recent
addition.

Fiona