Howl film

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Aug 21 14:38:35 EDT 2001

Fiona wrote:

>Perhaps I'm a purist but I don't want Japanese, American or English. Howl is
>*Welsh*, I think he should be played by a Welsh actor. Regrettably I doubt
>they'll do that, despite there being a number of actors capable of fitting
>the bill.
>
>It doesn't really matter to me who voices Sophie or Calcifer, Ingary after
>all is it's own place but Howl is Welsh and I'd be disappointed if the story
>was altered to facilitate the voice of a foreign actor

Funny, I'd never thought about it until you wrote this, and then had
to go check.  Sophie never says anything that I could find about
Howl's having an accent.  When they go to Wales he talks in a foreign
language, which she recognises as probably being the same as The
Saucepan Song, but nothing else.  I'm far from being an expert (Ania
will be here tonight and can correct me), but everyone I've heard
from Wales had a really noticable accent - rather like a Cork or
Kerry accent here.  You'd never fail to notice one of them.  But the
absence of comment about this in the book made me wonder what DWJ
would choose for Howl's accent, if she had free rein.

Hallie.