19th Century Literature (Polish)

Anna Skarzynska theania at freeuk.com
Sat Aug 18 09:24:29 EDT 2001

Yes! yes! I got a convert!
(calming down slightly) I am so pleased that you liked With Fire and Sword.
It is my favourite Sienkiewicz ever. It was filmed quite recently - my
Polish relatives supplied me with a video - a lavish production and quite
excellent, although they did try to "unbias" it somewhat. It may be that an
English-subtitled version exists somewhere, try find it, highly recommended.
My only gripe is that Helena's hair is not raven black in the film. She is
played by Izabella Scorupco, who was a Bond girl quite recently. Evidently
in real life she actually ran off with the dashing Ukrainian who played
Bohun.
And Horpyna the witch is my favourite character, my friend's mum in Poland
nicknamed me Horpyna and I did use the name for an email address once.
Ania