Off-topic hallooooing...

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Wed Aug 15 19:47:18 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com>
> I have been meaning to say that I finally got the chance to read our own
> Sally Odgers' books _Translations in Celadon_ and _Trinity Street_.  Very
> good.  I recommend you all hunt them down.  They were moderately hard to
> find in the US, but worth the search.

Thank you, thank you for the unsolicited reviews. And both books are
available through Amazon... or so they claim.

>What I particularly liked was the sense that
> Celadon--the 'other world'--was truly raw and new and uninhabited.  I
won't
> say more, because you need to read it to understand, but I want to know if
> you did this on purpose, Sally.

Yes, I did do it deliberately... I'll add more detail on a private e-mail.

>Unlike
> Laurel, Sari is fully human and I consider her more evil because of it.
> She's a strong and hateful antagonist and I like that--I don't like her,
but
> I like the urgency she lends to the story.

One reviewer said "Sari was overly unpleasant" which did tee me off. I felt
like saying "She's the *villain*. She's *meant* to be unpleasant!"

I did expect some flack because she is what she is (i.e. a 15 y-o girl with
some Islander blood) but no-one said a word about that. In fact, it had only
two reviews all told...

>It's very visual;
> both these books are.  I retain many strong images from them like little
> snapshots in my brain.

I do too, so I'm glad it has the same effect on readers.

> I thought the ending was a little rushed on this
> one.  The ultimate ending is good, especially with the implication that
the
> true story is what begins after the last sentence, but the final cataclysm
> came and went very quickly.  I still don't know if it's because I was
> rushing too fast, to find out what happened, or if it really was just very
> rushed.

Too true. I had to keep to a word count, and the editor made me rewrite the
ending to punish the twin villains... I was going to leave them free and
evilling away for a sequel (which would have settled the Camena question),
but Anna (the ed) wanted her i to be dotted and t crossed. She may well have
been right. I did plant a loophole to allow me to do a sequel, but never got
round to it. By the time one gets the go-ahead, it's three years later and
one has other ideas.

>At any rate, it was very exciting.  And then a few months ago I was
> driving to a library far, far away, and passed something called HI-Q
> Corporation and nearly drove into a power pole.  There's coincidence for
> you.

Eeek! Now that's a worry...

Sallyo.