Off-topic hallooooing...

Wed Aug 15 00:08:01 EDT 2001

...because things suddenly went all quiet and I started wondering if I'd
been unceremoniously booted off the list.  AGAIN.  :)

I have been meaning to say that I finally got the chance to read our own
Sally Odgers' books _Translations in Celadon_ and _Trinity Street_.  Very
good.  I recommend you all hunt them down.  They were moderately hard to
find in the US, but worth the search.

_Translations in Celadon_ is a fantasy--we could start arguing again about
what kind of fantasy, what we'd call it, but it's the kind where people from
our world are drawn into another one...and what that other world is is
central to the plot.  I think I liked this one better than _Trinity Street_
but not in any objective sense; I'm drawn to misunderstood, dark, wounded
heroes like Rafe (and Mordion, for whom I harbor a most disturbing tendre,
given that he's NOT REAL).  What I particularly liked was the sense that
Celadon--the 'other world'--was truly raw and new and uninhabited.  I won't
say more, because you need to read it to understand, but I want to know if
you did this on purpose, Sally.  It was a very compelling effect.  Also the
glimpses of "s'imagining" that Rosanna does, especially the visual images
like the snow and the crags on the very first page which kept coming back to
me (and which came 'round full circle at the end, as I recall).

When I first read this (back in January; I'm very slow sometimes) it
actually made a connection for me with DWJ--not even an obligatory one.  The
villainess, Sari, reminds me strongly of Laurel the Faerie Queen, in her
arrogance and willingness to use others to get her way.  She sees others
more or less as things, slaves to give her pleasure or power.  Unlike
Laurel, Sari is fully human and I consider her more evil because of it.
She's a strong and hateful antagonist and I like that--I don't like her, but
I like the urgency she lends to the story.

_Trinity Street_ reminds me of something, but I'm not sure what.  For one
thing, the premise is something Jacob and I talk about all the time--the
fact that a lot of highly educated people aren't having kids and (forgive
me) too many dumb ones ARE.  (I'm a hopeless snob.)  The relationship
between two of the main characters is a sort of Rupert/Maree thing--okay,
that one was an ObDWJ reference, but it's still true.  It's very visual;
both these books are.  I retain many strong images from them like little
snapshots in my brain.  I thought the ending was a little rushed on this
one.  The ultimate ending is good, especially with the implication that the
true story is what begins after the last sentence, but the final cataclysm
came and went very quickly.  I still don't know if it's because I was
rushing too fast, to find out what happened, or if it really was just very
rushed.  At any rate, it was very exciting.  And then a few months ago I was
driving to a library far, far away, and passed something called HI-Q
Corporation and nearly drove into a power pole.  There's coincidence for
you.  (If you don't get it, it's because you haven't read the book yet.)

Melissa Proffitt